Supreme Court issued show-cause notices to FIA officials on Hajj scam case

May 14, 2011 6:45 pmComments Off on Supreme Court issued show-cause notices to FIA officials on Hajj scam caseViews: 1

hajj-scam

The Supreme Court has issued show-cause notices to the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) chief and 2 officers formerly spearheading investigations into the Hajj scam for abandoning the case halfway in violation of court orders.

Additional director general Javed Bukhari and director Hussain Asghar were served notices for requesting their transfers whereas the investigation was in progress — in violation of the apex court’s directive. FIA director general Malik Iqbal informed the court that the 2 officers had asked to be disassociated from the case. The institution was directed to cancel their transfer orders and reappoint them within the FIA to enable them to proceed with the investigation.

Establishment Secretary Chaudhry Abdul Rauf apprised the six-member larger bench headed by Chief Justice (CJ) Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry that the premier has not nevertheless signed the outline for the officers’ reappointment owing to the fallout of the Abbottabad incursion. The secretary held the inside ministry chargeable for their transfer, prompting the CJ to look at that FIA DG had expedited their removal.

The chief justice remarked that the FIA DG would ought to justify why he tried to impede the court’s proceedings. He would even be grilled on why no action was taken against Shagufta Jumani, the previous state minister for spiritual affairs, once the investigation team recorded an announcement implicating her within the scam. The CJ didn’t settle for the reason offered by FIA director (legal) Azam Tarar who said that the Saudi government didn’t give concrete proof against Jumani. “Saudi Arabia won’t hand over proof to foreign agencies,” he said.

He identified that the case was obstructed whenever there was headway within the investigation. “Whenever investigations are initiated against influential persons, officers are disassociated from the case,” he observed. The hearing was adjourned until June three.

Meanwhile, the Islamabad High Court has refused bail once arrest to the previous spiritual affairs minister Hamid Saeed Kazmi who was expelled from the cupboard for his alleged involvement within the Hajj scam.

Justice Muhammad Anwar Khan Kasi dismissed his bail application with the observation that he couldn’t be granted bail at this stage. The court observed that Kazmi had appointed each Ahmed Faiz who had employed accommodation for pilgrims in Saudi Arabia last year and former Hajj DG Rao Shakeel. Kazmi had challenged the April fourteen call of FIA’s special court once his bail was dismissed.

Related posts:

Tags:

Comments are closed